Animals with Disabilities
Handicapped Pets: Pet Disability Resources
As an animal caregiver, it’s challenging to immediately know that animals have disabilities. Many times, the impairment, whether it be cognitive or developmental, is not immediately visible. And, once it has developed, it is a challenge to determine how to best embrace the impairment. The term disability in itself covers such a broad amount of things, and Special Needs Pets tries its best to break down each of these disabilities so that we can help you help your animal function best in its environment.
Special Needs Pets recognizes that we are not the end-all of resources. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of resources that we’ve found to be helpful when looking for information on animals with disabilities. We hope you find this helpful as well.
Pets with Disabilities
- HandicappedPets.com – a variety of resources for caregivers of disabled pets, including a message board.
- Pets With Disabilities
- The Disabled Pets List
- The Special-Needs Pets Support List
- Living with a Disabled Cat
- The Handicats List
- Cerebellar Hypoplasia
- The CH Kitty Club List
- Feline Hip Dysplasia Awareness
- The Feline Hip Dysplasia List
- The Disabled Dogs List
- Canine Amputee Hints and Suggestions
- Canine Hip and Elbow Dysplasia Resources
- The Canine Hip Dysplasia List
- The TPO List – Canine Hip Dysplasia
- The Wheelchair Dogs List
- Owners of Blind Dogs
- The Blind Dogs We Love List
- The Deaf Dog Education Action Fund
- Signs of Love for Our Deaf Dogs
Mobility Aids for your Pet
- Dewey’s Wheelchairs for Dogs
- Doggon’ Wheels– wheelchairs for dogs, cats and other pets.
- Eddie’s Wheels – wheelchairs for dogs and cats, including wheelchairs for pets with front leg mobility problems and amputees. They also sell used wheelchairs, subject to availability.
- The K9 Cart Company – wheelchairs for dogs, cats and other pets. This site includes a useful nursing care guide for mobility-impaired animals.
- TailWagon – wheelchairs for injured or recovering pets.
- Ty-Lift – wheeled animal transport, great for quadriplegic pets, especially large dogs. See Sheba’s web site.
- Walkabout – custom-fit harnesses and boots for mobility-impaired pets.
Success Stories – Animals Living with Disabilities